Mental health in a first aid setting
Date(s): 02 July 2020
Time: 10am- 5pm
Eligibility: Acupuncture graduates
George Peterkin is a certified mental health first aid instructor through the Royal Hospital of Public Health. This 1-day workshop will build your knowledge and confidence in dealing with the poor mental health that your patients may show.
You will learn about:
- The mental health continuum
- Development of the brain in adolescence
- Stigma of mental health
- Signs and symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Signs and symptoms of psychosis
- Signs and symptoms of self-harm and eating disorders
- Signs and symptoms of suicide
- How we can intervene with someone showing these signs and symptoms
This course uses a variety of techniques to aid in learning such as videos, group work and some friendly competition! Please note that this does not result in a first aid qualification in mental health.
George Peterkin is a qualified teacher who has trained in 'mental health first aid' and is founder of ‘Mind Your Health’; an organisation which focuses on first aid issues in mental health and teaching people to understand the signs and symptoms that indicate mental health disorders.